[ love and comraderie ]

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Happy Birthday To You!!!!

I was working the other night and on one end of the restaurant I was serving this couple who were Freshly in Love. It was grand! The best thing about them was I got a precursor into their love affair when I was out back having a smoke and I was watching them, pre dinner, momentarily sating themselves on themselves. Appetizers, if you will. He was leaning against a concrete post, she was leaning on him, their bikes were straddled beneath each of them, wheels turned to suggest maybe the Gary Fischers found a spark too. They were not lookers, in a conventional sense. He looked like he did late night audio post production on the CBC. She looked like she may have worked at Noah's, the health food store on Bloor. I've always marvelled at how people in health food stores are the most unhealthy looking humans around. I guess because they need it?

Eventually they moved inside. They were sitting, enjoying each other's company, glowing, smiling in the most contented way. When it came time to ordering food they ordered enough not just for them, but for about 2 more. I started laughing, in a nice way. With them, not at them. I understood.

There is this amazing thing that happens when you're truly enthralled with another person. Your life takes on new meaning. All of your senses are not just engaged, but everything is heightened and life seems so much... more. More delicious, more intoxicating, light is dazzling and everything has a clearer, more pronounced magical quality to it. And all you want to do is bask in the glory of this love you have, fuck like mad and eat like crazy. They were on the eating like crazy portion of the evening.

On the other end of the restaurant I was serving this other couple. They were attractive in a North American sense. They looked fine together. Both had dark hair, dark eyes, good complexions, both tall, slim, but, it was a Passion-Free Zone. Allow me to preface this by saying I am a very unusual server. I'm really a bartender posing as a waitress. I ask leading questions and I suggest things. I listen to problems, always offer solutions, or at least my 2 cents worth. I've broken up couples and I've been invited to weddings afterwards by the ones who've heeded my advice and found new love, the love they wanted.

So back to the Passion-Free Zone. I took one look at them and said, "You're newly dating aren't you?" At first they felt a compulsion to lie, saying, "No... we've been together for 2 years." The truth won out when they admitted to only having been out together 2 or 3 times. I said, "No sex yet, though." Apparently this was under discussion. The guy was very interested in knowing how I determined they were new. The way they interacted was as if they were conducting an interview. You knew immediately they had found each other on one of those dating sites. What they knew about each other was the unimportant stuff: work; whether they wanted kids or not; truth or fiction about how much the other made; how far they lived from one another, hence the convenience of love; and of course what they looked like in advance. I was telling them about the Freshly in Love, on the other end of the restaurant. I said to the Passion-Free Zone, "They're at that delicious moment in their relationship where they exist purely on each other, hot sex and eating like pigs. Remember that?" Neither of them knew what I was talking about. All I could do was shake my head and say, "I feel sorry for you."

In my life, my little lovely life, I've fallen in love. One of the things I've relished is the first moment you set eyes on someone. Someone special, that is. You see them. They see you. You imagine kissing them, maybe. Maybe you imagine them naked. One of the luckier hazards of having worked behind the bar for as many years as I have, one tends to develop a lack of shyness. A certain brazen attitude takes over with the safety of having 2' of wood between "us" and "them". So, in walks this guy.

He's hot, in a very dark way. I didn't realise how much I liked dark. Moody, without petulance. Kind of Russian Lit, if we can use that sort of comparison in a human. I was trying to change the music. There was this incredibly vain singer on, Joss Stone. Gah! I hate her. Well, hate is a very strong word. I just don't think a 16 year old girl can have that much to sing the blues about. Just as I don't think 8 year old hip hop kids can sing about sex. The only "babies" they know are their kid sisters. Anyway, I'm waxing unpoetic about Miss Stone and he says, "I'm singing the blues." I ask for a definition. "Did your dog die?" He said no. "Did your woman leave you?" He said no again. He wouldn't tell me. But there was something there, both in what he wasn't telling me and what was between us. Energy. Friction. Something fucking delicious.

Because I tend to use music as a balm, thank you Mogwai, thank you Interpol, many thanks to The Polyphonic Spree, I decided to dedicate a song to lift the spirits of this nameless, very interesting fellow. The selection of discs remaining in the place was sparse, but I do believe that music can move mountains and even more than drink or other substances, can change minds and make us forget the shit that exists momentarily in our lives. I put on the Scissor Sisters. Not the best choice, but still I had only a limited selection.

I went back on the floor to do the mundane tasks in which I'm expected. Apparently it's part of the work. While on the floor I said to Nameless and Hot, "This next song will hopefully make you feel better. It always does me." He motioned to me and yet came over, very close, and said softly in my ear, "I think the only thing that would make me feel better... is you."

YEAH!

One should be lucky to have interactions like that. He made me, admittedly, a bit wet.

I'm looking at being on Lavalife as more of a social experiment. I know in my heart of hearts I'll never find The One or The One Right Now on it. It's become too disgusting, really. A "here are my lists of requirements" sort of interaction. The Human Shopping Network. I never know what my requirements are, really. They change so often. What I needed yesterday is not what I need today. Who knows what I'll need tomorrow? Never been one to plan too much. Love living in the moment. You never know when a seriously sexy moment will happen in your life, and that's the best thing about life, the not knowing. It catches you completely by surprise. Birthdays should be like that. That way there are no expectations. Someone should just announce, and this could come at many points of the year, Hey, it's so and so's birthday! I've just decided! Bring cake! Bring presents... or not. Doesn't matter. Ah, to celebrate for no apparent reason. Just for the sake of celebrating!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home