[ love and comraderie ]

Monday, February 14, 2005

Valentines: Yesterdays and Yesteryears

Yesterday:
He says: You are thoroughly imbued on my mind.
He asks her to be his Valentine.
She says: I could be no one else's.

Yesteryear:
Each Valentine's Day one of my ex-husbands, whose identity will remain unknown, would allow the 14th of February to come and go without a word, a deed, a consideration. Convinced and compliant, I understood. As long as everyone gets all the love one needs during the remaining yearly cycle, what's an extra day? It eventually became a sort of thumbing of the establishments who have capitalised on an occasion to express love.

With roses.
With candy.
With jewellery.
With a card.

But what happens when the rest of the 364 days don't amount to one day devoted to love?

As a kid it meant cinnamon flavoured heart candies and multi-pack tear-away Valentine cards destined for every classmate... except maybe gross nose picking guy.

I remember creating a giant, heart-shaped Valentine's receptacle, fashioned from red craft paper and white lacy doilies. It was adhered, with rings of masking tape, to the front of my one piece desk and chair combination. Every child would mill about with great earnestness, placing Valentines into one another's created paper heart mailboxes. Extra care and consideration was given to those whom we had a special affinity. After the milling and depositing portion, we'd all sit quietly at our desks, unleashing our spoils. I was reading and secretly wondering if 7 year old Chris Bond really meant it when he chose the card that said, "Be Mine".

Unless you were a complete asshole, everybody received the same amount - the exact number corresponding to the students in the classroom.

"See? It's a holiday created by the card companies! It's just like Mother's Day," an ex-husband tried to defend.
"Yeah, but would you get away with not acknowledging Mother's Day," the Comrade asked.

I didn't think so.

When I worked at the Courthouse, the restaurant I quit on the day of Blackout 2003, I had a co-comrade, Carol, who had once lived with a similar situation.

"It just means they're cheap," was her explanation.

I tried the supposition out at home. Apparently he was offended by that comment. My ex-husband was of logical mind. If one was to argue a point, best back it up with a little history; some facts or at least some lore.

What is the meaning of Valentine's Day? Well, there are legends.

1. There was a Roman priest during Claudius II's reign who dared to defy the emperor's ruling to ban marriage. Unwed men were ripe to send off to war. The priest, named Valentine, continued to perform marriages. Claudius II asked for his head.

2. While in jail an imprisioned Valentine fell in love with the jailor's daughter. This young vixen routinely visited the prisoner. Before his death he had written her a letter signed, "From your Valentine."

Okay?!

Not good enough.

At that point I was inclined to agree with Carol's supposition. And really, who cares? If it's important to one of the people, then do it, you cheap assholes! And when I say cheap, I mean with time, with care, with consideration.

I wouldn't want or expect a trite token like the aforementioned card, candy, roses or jewellery. Those speak of nothing short of a lack of imagination.

My wonderful friend Fergus writes something for his long-time girlfriend Stacey each year. Just one, so she doesn't feel spoiled. Knowing his love for her, I'm certain there's enough emotion and content to sustain all those times when Ferg invariably addresses Stacey as "dude".

Myself, I'd rather have a poem, a handmade card or a piece of music written. I prefer thought and deed rather than a haphazard purchase more than likely out of guilt or worse, obligation.


Yesterday:
He says: You make me feel alive. That's the best feeling of all, the stirring out of barren consciousness. I don't want anyone but you. If I lean on my own sword - so be it.
She says: Please make the sharp tip face the cold earth and have him lay his weight on a curved handle.

Though her wish is that of a lifetime of amorous words, she'll happily take the one day.

6 Comments:

  • Does it get better than Haiku on a napkin?


    I love you.

    Rye.

    By Blogger Rye, at 9:54 p.m.  

  • Happy Valentines Day!
    Darling,Of course I love you.
    I'm you husband.
    It's my job!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:23 p.m.  

  • hey, an honourable mention! nice!

    yes, my lady and i were mentioning yesterday how difficult a 'holiday' it is for people who don't know each other. my sister and her boyfriend, who fall into this category, spent loads of money they don't have buying each other things the other person doesn't need or want. then, to celebrate their distance from each other, they went out for dinner to a place where they loathe the clientele for being wealthier than them. odd night. i don't blame all the people out there who are trying to make something work. but after all these failed attempts, stop kidding yourselves! sorry, i've been writing this advice column and it's fucking tragic - people write in and basically want YOU to tell them to dump their partner. i want to tell them to stop fucking yanking my chain and just re-read what they wrote and leave. i know it's not that easy... not the leaving part, but the writing it part - i've got to be funny and witty and stuff. **sighs** ahhhh humans. i suppose when i'm not writing the desperate advice column i'm generally in love with humanity for always hoping. probably our greatest most admirable trait. pathetic and heroic at the same time.

    anyway, i stay too long. hello ms comrade! thanks for the shout out! f

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:08 a.m.  

  • Ryan:
    Missed on Livejournal
    By scores of well meaning friends:
    In Ryan we love.

    Fast Fred:
    Who are you? Imposter! And if you did indeed read what I wrote, you would have garnered that I never doubted my lover's feelings for me. I don't want to argue semantics but, syntax, darling. It's a dead giveaway. A husband... without a proposal? How ludicrous! I say!

    Dear Advice Columnist Patrick Decker aka Fergus,
    I've been wed 3 times now. The first one I tried to forget. The second one is now my best friend, but this third one I DON'T REMEMBER! Help!

    Jessica:
    Thank you.
    Pull the stuff out of the rafters and put it up.

    By Blogger Comrade Chicken, at 5:44 p.m.  

  • I find it so interesting, the accross-the-board strong feelings one way or the other about Valentines Day. Some love it, some loathe it...but it seems everyone has an opinion. I feel sort of like I'm watching a movie this time of the year, because I really don't have an opinion. Such is the luxury of the un-wed I suppose...but do we really need another excuse to heap expectations upon one another?

    Lovely words...reflections of lovely thoughts...the greatest gift.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 a.m.  

  • Dear Advice Columnist Patrick Decker aka Fergus,
    I've been wed 3 times now. The first one I tried to forget. The second one is now my best friend, but this third one I DON'T REMEMBER! Help!
    ----------------------------------

    if i've told you once, then i've told you once, cooking sherry isn't a 'love potion'. lay off the stuff! your serial bridology is symptomatic of someone who loves intensely. don't change it :)

    f

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home