[ love and comraderie ]

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Godspeed You Doctor Officer!

Playground


Last month I introduced my new friend Jamie, the first chair euphonium playing gay cop from Georgia, with a doctorate in French literature.

I met him at my old restaurant I was slinging veal marrow bones and French martinis in.
He told me my weight, height and age by giving me the quintessential cop stare.
He got my age wrong only. He thought I was 5 years younger.
We became fast friends, just like the kind kids make on their old familiar street, or in the playground.
In an email I sent to him, I addressed him as Doctor Officer.
I guess he liked it. The handle stuck.

The good Doctor has shown me much of his life:
The sweet, sweet joys he's experienced, then lost. He lost his best friend to a horrible disease. I wrote about this disease in my last post.
The horrible, crippling effects decisions that government and judicial proceedings make that affect individual life.

I feel blessed by meeting such extraordinary creatures that sometimes bring such awareness, express inordinate amounts of love, joy, hope and life seemingly everywhere they go.

Though sometimes they forget.

Dear friends, it is my great privilege, honour and delight to present to you: Doctor Officer

3 Comments:

  • the doctor officer doesn't allow anonymous posts, and alas, i have no account, so kudos to you for helping him get online. the story of watching his sister on CNN was palpable and human and very well written. i'm a fan.

    f

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 a.m.  

  • Well FERGUS (Anonymous III), if that's your REAL name, maybe you *should* get an account. : )

    And you're right; he is interstellar. Thanks for taking the time.

    By Blogger Comrade Chicken, at 11:12 a.m.  

  • Alas, I knew not that I was blocking anonymous posts...this has now been rectified. I am off now to bask in the prose of Comrade Chicken. My apologies for my ignorance...

    Doctor Officer

    By Blogger Doctor Officer, at 1:55 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home