[ love and comraderie ]

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Curiousities and Revocations

Chloro


I'm caught with the sensation midway between absolutely delighted and terribly somber, if there is such a locale. I'm discovering I am a rather unusual type of person. Unusual, in this sense, meaning atypical and sometimes contradictory.

Atypically:
Doesn't buy stuff, including food, on a regular basis. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat if the opportunity doesn't present itself.
Doesn't watch television.
Loves specific new technology (fast processing Mac's, internet, digital cameras, iPods)
Hates specific new technology (cell phones, Palm Pilots and the like, iPods)
Can justify all of my own behaviour, but can also easily be made to feel guilt over the same justified behaviour.
Loves to argue.
Loves to help.
Doesn't like glory. (Though loved the movie)
Loves victory.
Hates competition.
Is cheap with herself, but generous with her friends.
Would rather live in her head quite often.
Is not afraid of people.
Absolutely trusts her gut.
Is attracted to minds, rather than bodies; character, rather than money.
Knows when to shut up.

When I first started posting, back in the summer, I was a very harsh critic of myself. Usually the standard process went like this:
Write out what I'm thinking.
Edit it.
Adjust the time for posting.
Re-edit it.
Readjust the time.
Shudder and wince while pressing the "Publish now" button, all the while saying, "This is complete shit."

The only thing I don't do anymore is the "This is complete shit" portion.

I don't get a lot of comments on my posts. I get some, and I'm grateful for those comments. All of them. Good or bad, it really doesn't matter. I value opinion. I consider everything. I don't agree with everything. That's what makes it helpful when I ignite that little facet in me that loves to argue.

Last night I got a comment on my preceding post. It was posted by Anonymous. Basically, it started off accusing me of being too vague in my description of the events of a trip to Chicago involving fellow Bloggers. It then launched into being too non-specific, bogus, pretentious and thus infuriating to read.

At the time I was talking to my friend Kissy on the phone. Laughing, I read it aloud to her. I was not offended by the comment. As I said, I value opinion. What I do, in general, is actively listen. Quite often when I'm engaged in conversation I hear everything that is said, but believe maybe 60% of the content. It's not that I'm a pessimist or that I'm paranoid. I just don't think people are very honest with themselves. "I'm fine", say, rarely means just that. I do the same with other's writing.

Subtext.
What do you really mean under all of that?


Anonymous had sent me an email after writing the comment. I suspect he created an anonymous Hotmail account specifically for his correspondence.

Dear Comrade,

I need to make an apology to you.

A few minutes ago, I anonymously posted the first comment on your most recent blog entry. I attacked it for being bogus, pretentious and infuriating to read.

I had no business making the comment I made. It's your blog and your life and the way you wish to express yourself is your own business, not mine. I'm not even a regular reader of your blog (or of blogs in general) and I don't know what compelled me to comment in such a hostile way. In fact, on top of that, by doing so I have made myself a total hypocrite (it's a long story that's not worth detailing).

I humbly request that you delete my comment from your blog as soon as humanly possible. While I realize that I cannot erase the comment I made from your memory, I don't think the shame center in my heart will allow me to sleep well knowing that I threw a virulent chunk of negativity into your world and into the world of your readership that will stay up there forever for many to read.

The internet is a strange phenomenon. It can bring out the very best in people and it can bring out the very worst in people. Tonight, it brought out the worst in me and I am embarassed and ashamed of myself. I pray that you can accept my apology and that you will delete my comment.

Sincerely,

Someone You Don't Know


So, you see, I had to delete his comment. I believe too much in humanity. I believe too much in lessons. I believe too much in beauty not to have granted this poor creature, who felt genuine remorse, this earnest wish.

But, I disagree, young Someone I Don't Know. I think you should begin your own blog (Life) and document exactly what it is you don't think is worth detailing. The thing is, I suspect it is. And I would love to get to know you. You seem to have a lovely depth of character. And I suspect you'd be a hell of a writer.

I received young Jessica's comment this morning. Comment(s) rather. Understand I don't know Jessica.
"I'll just say what everyone else is thinking...wait, so what happened between you three?
I'll just say what everyone else is thinking....what happened between the three of you?"


Two comments. Both alike in inquiry. In fair Blogland, where we lay our scene.

It made me think.

Boys and girls, gather 'round! It's time for question/ answer period!

Who chooses:
To fight for what he/she believes in?
To love, to the best of one's ability?
To say anything that pops into one's head?
To act? Not thinking about the consequences, just behaving in a fashion that feels right?

I do.

Who chooses:
To sit in front of the television and watch Reality unfold?
To not say anything in fear of potentially offending someone?
To do nothing because it doesn't seem "correct" or "proper" or "appropriate"?
To keep talking about the same thing, often making the same plans, but doing nothing to further them?
To stay stuck... in the same place; life repeating itself day after day after day?

I stomp my feet and vehemently refused.

I'm thinking of George Michael's old band, Wham, right now. They had a T-shirt, back in the 80's that said, in big, bold lettering:

CHOOSE
LIFE



I don't think he was talking about Life vs. Death. I think he was talking about Living. Living fully.

To those who were brave enough to ask, or curious enough anyway, I thank you for the obvious interest in my life. Though perhaps too subtly, one should have gleaned by my last post that I'm not going to disclose anymore information than I have. Aside from it not being any of your business, it simply wasn't the point.

The point was none us sat placidly watching strangers lives unfurl. We didn't stay tuned next week for the epic conclusion. We didn't identify with this character or that. We were our own characters. At every point, there were choices to be made. Some were great choices, some were not so great. But that's like Life, isn't it?

My concern is the overriding wanton need for result. The conclusion. The end of Act III. The curtain's close. The Final Countdown (God, I love that song). As a fictional story concept, the need for closure is quite endearing and understandable. But as for individual lives, the need to know seems rather voyeuristic to me.

I suppose what I'm trying to say, or rather pose to you, whoever you are, is: What is it about your life that is lacking enough drama or excitement or interest that the result of my trip is fascinating enough for you to want to know about my actions? My choices.

Allow me to beg this time:

Please, turn off your televisions.
Please, turn off your phones.
Please, stay in a conversation fully.
Please, stay in the moment fully.
If your head is louder than the person across from you, or next to you, please go home.
Please choose to say "yes" more often than "no".
Because even if it's "not right", and you have to ask yourself whether it's fully your own conclusion, or whether someone along the way has told you so, you have an opportunity to gain massive amounts of insight by doing, not just thinking about it.

Live your own Life.
Fall down.
Document what is necessary.
Learn as much as you can about yourself.
It is a lifelong process.
One that is worth living.

8 Comments:

  • booooooooo!!!!!!

    just kidding ;)

    f

    ps - but i LOVE movies! it's how i make a living! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:21 p.m.  

  • Jessica: If you didn't get it, read it again.
    If you still didn't get it, read it again.
    Read it again, and again, and again.
    If after a week, you still don't get it, please send me your coordinates so I may visit you and hand hold you through the process.

    It's all there in 1's and 0's. Open wide.

    By Blogger Comrade Chicken, at 5:47 p.m.  

  • I'm really glad that a George Michael T-shirt triggered some sort of epiphany for you. But please don't try to impart your wisdom on the rest of us.

    You. Are. Ridiculous.

    I don't care about your silly weekend. But your condescending tone sickens me.

    By Blogger erin, at 8:56 p.m.  

  • My condescending tone? That's very funny.
    Little girl, there is a world of mirrors waiting for you.
    Why don't you go and buy something... it seems to be the one good thing you do.

    By Blogger Comrade Chicken, at 9:01 p.m.  

  • Holy... Friggin... Shit...
    I knew you were special from when I met you.
    But I had no idea you went this deep. If you truly live your words and don't just spew them out, well, than, honestly...
    You are the best person I have ever met.

    By Blogger RevoloutionaryRob, at 2:13 a.m.  

  • Okay let me just say I personally don't have an overwhelming desire to know what happened in Chicago. I have only been to your blog a handful of times that might be why. Your last entry and its subsequent comments bothered me though enough to comment on. I happen to sympathize with those people who might read your blog regularly and harmlessly asked what happened. I don't think the way you reacted to them was fair at all.

    I believe you have a right to privacy and can choose to disclose or not disclose what you want about your life. I also believe you have a right to be as condescending in your replies as you want to be. Which you were. You can deny it, but starting off a sentence with "Little girl" is condescending. I would suspect that you are well aware of that.

    That out of the way, why don't you just call it like it is on this one? You

    A. Don't want to offend the other people involved in what happened on this trip by posting a detailed blog about it; so being vague is a form of protection. Because let's face it, blogging about yourself, your life outside of these people, where generally most of your readers actually don't know any of the people you talk about on a day to day basis. Is safe. However, talking about experiences involving people you now do know and also knowing they will read about it. Well...not so safe anymore. Is it?
    Or
    B. You are embarrassed over what happened and don't feel comfortable sharing it with the entire Internet. Which is fine, who said a blog had to say EVERYTHING all the time.

    Whatever your reasons are and maybe they don't involve any of the above, which is fine, don't belittle the very people who validate this blog everyday by posting comments to you. Yeah I said validate, because the simple truth is, if you didn't want people to read this blog you wouldn't post your journal online for the entire world to look at. You also wouldn't have a comments section if you didn't want to know what others out there thought. It's bullshit to claim otherwise. You know it, your blogger friends know it and your readers know it.

    I'm sure you can respect my thoughts as I say what I feel much like you do. So although you may not agree with this, perhaps you ought to add this to your list of contradictions about yourself.

    Posts entire life online for world to see. Gets upset when people want to know about her life.

    Think about it. If you don't understand it, think about it some more and still some more. And if you still don't understand this comment, really really think about it and if you find this condescending you may have learned something, after-all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:34 p.m.  

  • I won't lie - I want to know what happened. I was a little infuriated by your vague post following your trip to my town...but I understood MY hostility to be about MY not having a very interesting life...watching too much television...spending too much time on the friggin interweb...and wanting something in front of me to be interesting.

    I've never commented here before...but this post is Brilliant...and perfect, and accurate, and insightful. I think you're brave.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 p.m.  

  • It is a beautiful thing that those who choose to banter with you are all articulate and write out every word. I did not sense any unschooled idiots here!

    I will say that reading your blog is like unrolling a story. And you do it amazingly. And it did seem like there was a tear in the fabric with no details of your much anticipated trip.

    So just keep unrolling!

    By Blogger monimomo, at 12:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home