[ love and comraderie ]

Thursday, May 19, 2005

And Then She Had an Anxiety Attack...

I had to do this on Monday night in the alley behind my one night a week engagement at the Cheer's Equivalent:
"Don't worry. All this anxiety soon will pass." (x 10)
Breathe, breathe, breathe (every second, of course, but this was more heightened and staccato).
"Fuck I hate this! (x Tourettes)
Deep haul(s) off the Dunhill which under normal conditions takes 7 minutes to finish (each took 3 minutes).


Welcome to The Comrade's Anxiety Attack
It happens.

In me it feels like what seems to be a 2 legged feral creature swallowed up inside, running on the spot. Its hairy, stumpy legs ending in Frodo-like feet are kicking like a skinhead somewhere in the region of my belly. Its head is firmly lodged in the space between my lungs. It's cut holes into each, sent accordian hoses into every organ and with megaphone attachment has started screaming so loud my mind and all organic matter have turned to a steaming pile of bovine feed. I feel like I'm going mad.

And then I re-engage the steps I took in the first paragraph. Which helps to a degree.
And then I have to go back inside to work where I am expected to maintain peace, a certain liquidity level in each customer's personal vessel and relative sanity. At least on the outside.

Walking home I barely noticed a thing. I didn't pay attention to anyone who crossed my path. I looked blankly into storefront windows seeing nothing but faceless, undressed mannequins. I listened intently to the mad creature that was lodged in my midsection. I felt so desperate and I didn't know what to do.

Of course there was a reason. There were about 9 reasons, actually. Reasons like I was about to start a new job that might or might not be worth it in the end. This lady of relative leisure was going to be very, very busy very, very soon. I have a full on boyfriend who adores me but in my weakened condition I keep thinking the ball's going to drop at any second. I'm creating dramas that don't need to be there. I'm creating obstacles for him to prove his love. I couldn't write a thing in this realm or any other for about a week or so. My deck needs to be done. I'm creating a cabana feel out back which is aimed at making the deck more inviting that it had been last summer. Last year it had only really been used 3 times. I had to write something real for others. A short screenplay.

It was the last one that really sent me over the edge.

Writing this blog is a pleasurable activity for me. I write for myself and only myself. Historically there have been reminder nuggets attached to different parts of my brain by industrial velcro, aimed at protecting certain others, but mostly I chose the route of honesty, in the best of my ability, as my driving force. I couldn't write this blog at all last week. I have a series of failed attempts in my dashboard. The Little Creature Who Screams took over, leaving me with half stabs and full-on impotence.

This thing needed to be annihilated.

This is what I did: I had a conversation with myself within a word processing document. I asked myself what was bothering me. Really bothering me. And I answered myself honestly. I was scared I was going to fuck up the screenplay I've been asked to co-author. Now that I've been hired on full time, I didn't think I was going to have as much time with my darling Fatty anymore. I didn't think I was going to have as much time to myself. I didn't think I was able to write any decent thing ever again. But I held my own hand, talked softly and calmly to myself and systematically shot down every jet propelled fear I had inside. I told myself it wasn't going to be easy. I promised myself the process would not be perfect. And it only took 36 years for me to consider this to be okay.

God, baby steps are a bitch.

5 Comments:

  • Baby steps are a bitch, indeed.
    As are anxiety attacks. I used to get them on crowded busses, (although some may argue they were more clausterphobic attacks than anything.)

    Congrats on the screen writing job. I'm glad you are writing.

    And if it takes too much time, don't worry, it cannot take forever to write a screenplay so one could presume that you'll have your time back soon.

    But it's definitely daunting to agree to surrender a large portion of your time.

    Good luck, CC,

    -robyn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 p.m.  

  • not like you need the pressure but... WHERE WERE YOU ALL THIS TIME?? i guess i could have called or something, but i like this voyeuring thing, and i love your writing, so, there you have it. screenwriting isn't hard, it's what to do when nothing's coming that is:

    my tip. DO NOT go with the addage "whatever first came to your mind is best". it's not. The first thing that came to your mind is the first thing that came to at least 10,000 other screenwriters minds, and therefore, the idea will be stale. it's the 50th idea you come up with that will be golden.

    there's no such thing as 'real dialogue', there is only 'real movie dialogue'.

    robert mckee had one genius idea and it is this: begin and end every scene with opposite expectations, ie. the woman enters the room to tell the man that she loves him and she will accept his marriage offer, her life is going to be perfect, only to discover him fucking her poodle. she leaves the room hating his guts, her life ruined. that kinda thing.

    sorry, that was long. any questions, feel free to ask. and details when they can be divulged.

    and congratulations. you're a great great writer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:48 p.m.  

  • Strange and wonderful that 2 people, one of which I've never physically met and one of which I never really see are so fundamentally important to me.

    Thank you both, my little guardian angels, for your constant and much needed support & guidance.

    Sigh.
    Much love to you both.

    By Blogger Comrade Chicken, at 2:19 a.m.  

  • Great to see that you are as sweet and kind with yourself as you seem to be with your friends....
    you'll knock em'dead!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:09 p.m.  

  • Good things indeed come in threes. Thank you again, Sara Sweet Girl, for all your supportive words.

    By Blogger Comrade Chicken, at 2:56 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home